16 March 2009

Confessions of a Sci-Fi Freak

"To boldly go where no man has gone before..."

- Captain Kirk of the Starship Enterprise




Yes, I am one. A sci-fi freak I mean. Have been for quite a while now actually. But, funnily enough, no one would have ever pegged me for being one. Why? Well, maybe because no one would have ever thought that a typical plain girl like me would have an interest in all these sci-fi, out-of-this-world and sometimes ridiculous notions that we are not alone. I have always been sold to the idea that there might be other beings apart from us on Earth, because if we are the only living creatures existing on this planet that we call Earth in this wide universe don’t you think that it is such a waste of space?

My fascination with all things sci-fi started when I was really young, though to be honest I was never into Star Wars... I love astronomy (but I could never really give you the name of the stars and signs, and plus I suck at Physics… *dolefully grinning*) and have always been interested in all things related to the ancient civilizations and cultures (Egyptian, Roman, Greek, Incan Mayan, Aztec etc). Come to think of it, if I were not doing medicine I might just have chosen a career involving ancient civilizations and languages. Sigh, sometimes I do wonder if I had made the correct decision after all…

Ooopsss, I’ve digressed. Ok, coming back to the topic. As I’ve said my interest started really early, but not until STARGATE the movie came out that my fascination grew even more. If you’ve never watched STARGATE before, you really are missing something. For those who have watched it know the reason why I love it so much. First, it’s about the idea that we are indeed not alone and there are other beings that exist in this universe. Second, the storyline that was based on ancient Egyptian civilization, and amazingly enough their ability to make the idea that the Pyramids of Giza could just maybe, maybe, built by aliens as no one could really understand how they were built in those days without proper technology. Some theories were made saying that it must have been built by a far more superior race and technology ahead of their time back then. And third, the concept of traveling through space to reach other habitual planets in the distant galaxies, meeting new race of aliens, learning their cultures, languages etc etc etc….. Ah, what I wouldn’t give to be able to do that…


So, from there on I’ve developed a preference for all sci-fi shows, including all those related to paranormal stuff (it’s kind of arrogant of us to assume that we are the only intelligent life form, isn’t it?) and also space explorations… I especially love the more recent shows, because it makes more sense (well to me at least).


Among those that I consider as my favorites are:

MOVIES:

1. STARGATE
2. STARGATE: ARK OF TRUTH
3. CONTACT
4. STEALTH
5. UNIVERSAL SOLDIERS
6. TRANSFORMERS
7. THE MATRIX (the trilogy)
8. SPACE COWBOYS
9. APOLLO 13
10. STARGATE: CONTINUUM
11. FREQUENCY
12. MEN IN BLACK (1&2)
13. FACE/OFF
14. TWELVE MONKEYS
15. FIFTH ELEMENT


TV SHOWS:

1. STARGATE SG1 (I love, I love, I loooooooove this show!! Finished watching all episodes from season 1 till 10, in a month! Me a freak indeed ^_^)
2. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2003)

3. STARGATE ATLANTIS
4. FARSCAPE
5. ANDROMEDA
6. BABYLON 5
7. SEAQUEST DSV
8. STAR TREK VOYAGER
9. THE TRIANGLE
10. DOCTOR WHO

11. TORCHWOOD


So what do you think? Well, if you say that nah, what’s the biggie, then let me tell you this: I would rather forgo shopping with my mom than missing one episode of Star Trek Voyager. No sane female would miss out the opportunity to go shopping (especially when you don’t have to pay for it), so I guess I was a freak since back then huh?


n.b. I wish I could be Captain/Colonel/Major Samantha Carter in another life (hint: Stargate SG1): beautiful brainy brave, with a heart of gold.....


3 comments:

eshmy said...

we never knew that u are into sci-fi.. u were the one who taught me bout romance n classics storybooks n movies..

xsangka..

if mak ajak shopping, i would go..

evamy said...

See, there's a lot abt me that u guys don't know. I do love the romance & classic lit genre but sci-fi fascinates me.

I knew u would go, normally I would too. But seriously ezra, mmg pernah mak ajak kuar gi klcc time tgh sale but I didn't wanna go because tak nak miss citer tu on tv. Lawak la pulak bila ingat balik... :P

Anonymous said...

Sangat unsangkarable!! :p

I always afraid of the thought of other lives in the outer space. Maybe that's why avoided it. But I remembered enjoyed watching 5th Element, though.

Cool truth about you! :)