26 April 2009

The Day When The Earth Shook

I've been here for almost 5 years now, and have experienced earthquakes TWICE. Thankfully though, it wasn't the earth-shattering ground-splitting type. It was more of a rumble and shake, thank God...

The first one was on September 27th 2004. It was exactly after 1 month we landed in Romania. At the time I was staying in an apartment on the 6th floor, couldn't really feel the first shake. But when it shook again a few seconds after that, my roommates and I grabbed our passports and jackets and ran downstairs! It was at night, and it was rather eerie coz the streets were filled with people and steam. At the time it felt surreal but we then met up with some of our friends a few blocks away and waited for things to calm down before going back to the house. Cuaklah jugak masa tu, isk...

The second time that I've experienced an earthquake was just yesterday, April 25th 2009. This time around even though the earthquake originated from Romania, we only felt a minor shake. At the time both Ms JZ and me were in the hallway having a lively conversation (i.e.mengumpat session, lol) when we suddenly felt the doors shaking. I was stunned, but thought that I had somehow experienced vertigo (ala-ala nak pitam gitu), while Ms JZ thought that someone had slammed the entrance door downstairs until our doors shook. Well, this was rather an acceptable explanation because we live in the first floor and my room is just above the entrance of the building (memang boleh sekodeng orang kuar masuk from my room's balcony, hehe). But out of curiosity I took a peek out of the kitchen window and saw people running out of the opposite block like as if there was a fire or something. It was only then that it had occured to us that it was an earthquake! Talk about clueless, lol...

So, having had the honour of experiencing 2 earthquakes in my 5 years here, and being the paranoid freak that I am, can anyone blame me for having a pre-packed bag containing several essential items in case of emergencies?

And no Erin, not only expecting mothers have the emergency bag, I do too!!

Yup, confirm. Your friend is a paranoid freak... ^_^

No comments: