21 April 2009

When I'm Home Alone...

..... I bake. A lot. It's Easter break and I'm stuck at home here, so what else to do but cook and bake, heheh...

What I had: Baked chicken (with 3 types of seasonings/marinades = sour cream+mushrooms, lemon+herbs, tandoori style), baked pasta (creamy baked pasta, mac&cheese, tuna casserole with tonnnes of cheese on top), pastries (butter, cheese and also chocolate filling), chicken curry with lots and lots of potatoes, ayam masak lemak cili padi (which was waaaaay too hot for me! Nasib baik tak kena diarrhea, lol...) and maybe tomorrow I might bake a banana cake if I could find a couple of ripe bananas today. Yummmm....

And suddenly yesterday I was hankering for some roti canai banjir! Sabar jelah... Since I've no patience (and skills) to make it from scratch, I decided to improvise and make them using some ready-made pastry dough that I've found in my fridge. Had to use lots and lots of oil (got no ghee), some sprinkled sugar, pan frying, and voila! And guess what, they turned out good! I was surprised myself, but when I had them with some fish-less fish curry with potatoes and carrots, oh my oh my oh my..... I even made some mamak tea (used fresh milk instead of condensed milk) to accompany my meal..... Ahhhh.... a little piece of heaven from home.....

Oh dear, all this free time and good food is so not good for me, I know. So don't be surprised to see me bloated up and round when school starts next week mi amigos!

Apart from cooking up a storm, I do go out and stretch my legs. The weather currently is so fine, and last sunday was Easter for the Orthodox. Went gallivanting around town and sat in the park for hours enjoying the sunshine. It was kinda peaceful this week, thanks to the fact that the city is almost empty because most of the students had gone back to their hometowns for the holidays. You see, Iasi is a kinda like a college/university town; it's quite small but has quite a number of colleges around here. So, the usual crowds during normal semester would consist of mainly students, while during the holidays (eg. Easter, Christmas, summer) it's practically quiet around here.

Hmmm...maybe I should go and settle my internet bill today coz it's so nice and breezy outside. Could just pay in the bank downstairs, but why not take a tram and a stroll to their office, eh? And since I have the student's transportation pass that enables me to hop on and off any busses, trams or maxi-taxis (like a van), I could go wherever I want (within the city's limits of course)!

Hope you guys are enjoying your holidays!

No comments: